Published In PRC News
The annual Welsh Castles Relay from Caernarfon to Cardiff proved to be the usual mixture of tough races, interesting inter-club battles and great camaraderie, and this time runners also had to contend with heavy rain and wind.
The 20-strong Prestatyn team which included three first-timers produced a highly creditable performance, coming 40th overall out of 65 teams and 36th on the six mountain stages. The placing would have been considerably higher had Des Davies not had to pull out of his stage with a leg injury.
The top results came from road captain Dean Longley, who, despite a niggling knee problem, finished third on the final stage into Cardiff, and Steve Skates, who was fourth on the notorious Drovers’ Arms climb from Builth.
It was primarily a fine all-round team performance, with members adapting to the various demands and pulling well together for the benefit of the club.
The placings were (for stage ran):
- Stage 1 : 32nd Benjamin Harrison 69.50
- Stage 2 : 41st Sian Beck 79.45
- Stage 3 : 58th James Rodgers 95.04
- Stage 4 : 17th Alex Ryder 62.50
- Stage 5 : 55th Jo Hoppes 81.02
- Stage 6 : 65th Des Davies 1-42 (penalty time)
- Stage 7 : 57th Wyn Roberts 79.25
- Stage 8 : 61st Mike Davies 91.32
- Stage 9 : 44th Gareth Hughes 63.50
- Stage 10 : 43rd Rob Alexander 92.02
- Stage 11 : 16th Andrew Bromley 80.33
- Stage 12 : 16th Matty Smith 71.39
- Stage 13 : 35th George Nixon 75.24
- Stage 14 : 4th Steve Skates 66.39
- Stage 15 : 40th Gareth Bailey 92.14
- Stage 16 : 54th Helen Ashworth 70.14
- Stage 17 : 10th Amie Bagnall 56.37
- Stage 18 : 44th Arwel Jones 67.43
- Stage 19 : 41st George Nicholls 58.47
- Stage 20 : 3rd Dean Longley 57.10.
Only two members braved the elements to take part in Saturday’s Parkruns. Nigel Bakewell was 32nd at windswept Conwy in 23.06 and Clair Attenbury made her debut in the mud and rain at Wepre, Deeside, coming 75th in 44.11.
Tonight ((Wed)) the club’s annual relays will be held, this time around Marine Lake. As usual, the teams will be selected on the night and members are asked to be there by 6.30pm.