Published In PRC News
The annual Abergele 5-mile race proved to be yet another rich hunting ground for Prestatyn Running Club members who came away with a host of trophies and titles, the race incorporating the North Wales championship.
A total of 34 members took part and no fewer than seven won their classes in the championship, as well as the ladies’ quartet of Amie Bagnall, Coral McShane, Sian Beck and Genna Bagnall winning the ladies’ team prize. In addition, Sian and Gabby Waring were in the North Wales police side which won the ladies’ corporate shield.
Once again it was particularly pleasing to see so many of the younger members performing so well, with Alex Ryder, Ben Harrison, Leon Bagnall, Amie Bagnall, Jenna Bagnall and Coral McShane all in the North Wales development squad which had a match against Cheshire and Staffordshire.
The club placings were:
- 29 Alex Ryder 30.25 (1st U20 in open and NW champs)
- 37 Leon Bagnall 31.26 (2nd U20 )
- 40 Morgan Jones 31.46
- 41 James Williamson 31.51
- 46 Rob Alexander 32.12
- 50 Gareth Bailey 32.20
- 51 Matty Smith 32.32
- 53 Amie Bagnall (2nd SL in open and 1st in NW champs)
- 56 Steve Stocker 32.42 (1st M40 in champs)
- 71 George Nixon 34.23 (st M60 in open and champs)
- 72 Ben Harrison 34.35
- 76 Craig Mitchley 34.34
- 91 Coral McShane (1st U20 in open and champs)
- 98 Sian Beck 36.12 (3rd L40 in open and 2nd in champs)
- 102 Des Davies 36.40
- 104 Jenna Bagnall 37.01 (1st U17 in open and champs)
- 115 Arwel Jones 37.46
- 118 Ally Reid 38.04
- 122 Russ Cheetham 38.26
- 124 Wyn Roberts 38.40
- 139 Mike Davis 39.39 (2nd M65 in champs)
- 143 Gareth Hughes (1st M70 in open and champs)
- 148 Sue Rodgers 40.24 (2nd L55 in open and champs)
- 149 Alan Jones 40.42
- 150 Debbie Richards (3rd L55 in open and champs)
- 154 John Hughes-Roberts 42.13
- 156 Jo Edwards 42.29
- 161 Hadyn Johnson 43.26
- 163 S teve Hatfield 43.35 (2nd M70 in champs)
- 166 Gabby Waring 44.20
- 180 Clare Manley 47.49 (3rd L45 in champs)
- 188 Caroline Jones 49.38
- 192 Karen Roberts 51.18
- 202 Val Jones 59.27
- 203 Julie Evans 60.04.
Gareth Roberts was the club’s only representative in the 34th Snowdonia Marathon, conditions for which were much better than in recent years. In a field of 2,500 he finished a highly creditable 603rd in 4-01.55.
Three members travelled to Conwy for the weekly Parkrun, Nigel Bakewell coming 37th in a new pb of 23.15, Andrew Scott 53rd in 24.07 and Jackie Pottle 101st in 28.14.
For a small club Prestatyn has achieved the remarkable feat of having four of its oldest members selected for the Wales squad for the British Masters’ home international cross-country in Glasgow on November 12.
Just 12 months after returning to running John Hickman has been named in the over-75s’ team along with seasoned internationals Roger Harrison-Jones and David Hughes, while Gareth Hughes is among the reserves for the M70 team. Unfortunately, however, John and Roger are unable to run because of injury and other commitments.
Caption: The Prestatyn Running Club quartet of supervets – Gareth Hughes, John Hickman, Roger Harrison-Jones and Dave Hughes - who have been selected for Wales.
This weekend sees the club’s resources stretched, with the second fixture in the Grand Prix Express North Wales Cross-Country League in Llandudno on Saturday followed by the second Borders League fixture hosted by West Cheshire AC in Upton, Chester.